IT ONLY TAKES ONE
It Only Takes One (IOTO) is America’s central rallying point for suicide prevention and mental health resources. IOTO is a hub for coalitions and entities dedicated to creating a focused funnel amplifying the actions, initiatives, and organizations dedicated to proactive suicide prevention.
It Only Takes One GoaLS:
- Break the silence and remove the stigma around mental health and suicide
- Educate ourselves and others that want to help
- Serve as a neutral hub for coalitions and organizations working together for outreach and education
- Provide a funnel focus and amplification effect for the vast plethora of prevention and education initiatives available
It Only Takes One is not meant to diagnose suicidal behavior or mental illnesses – only a trained professional clinician can make a mental health diagnosis and recommend a treatment plan. This platform serves as an educational base for those interested in learning about suicide prevention and increasing public awareness around the need for suicide prevention efforts and activities in Illinois.
WHY WE NEED TO START THE CONVERSATION
Globally, suicide takes the lives
of over 800,000 people every year.
In America, suicide takes the lives
of over 44,000 Americans every year.
SUICIDE COMPLETION RATES HAVE SURGED TO A 30-YEAR HIGH.
Suicide can be a preventable mental health crisis. The biggest obstacle to prevention is the silence of stigma. Stigmas are social and cultural factors that try to dictate how we express ourselves and compel individuals to be silent on their internal experiences.
We will reduce rates through proactive solutions...
The Proactive Action Plan
- Raise the visibility: We must perform outreach making resources and information are visible to break the silence of stigma.
- Get Educated: Ensure individuals and communities are educated on mental health care, and how to respond to mental health challenges.
- Take Action: Mobilize to impact institutional and social policy, by embedding Proactive practices in our professional, academic, personal, and civic environments.