The Youth in Crisis Coalition believes that suicide can be a preventable mental health crisis. Right now, our biggest obstacle to effective prevention is silence. Silence that occurs among individuals in pain and silence within our communities. Proactive suicide prevention is about starting the conversation on mental health before it adversely impacts our lives.
The Youth in Crisis Coalition is committed to reducing suicide completion rates, and was formed as a direct response to the pain and impact suicide has already had on our communities in the greater DuPage
The Youth in Crisis Coalition envisions a thriving student and youth population with zero suicide completions.
The Mission of the Youth in Crisis Coalition is:
To Engage Youth, Parents, and Organizations to Reduce Suicide Attempts and Completions and Disrupt the Journey to Suicide. We Will Achieve This by Providing Tools, Skills, and Resources to help Manage Anxiety, Stress, Mental Illness, and Depression.
Proactive suicide prevention is about starting the conversation on mental health before it adversely impacts our lives.
The Youth in Crisis Coalition aspires to fulfill this Mission and Vision by:
- Raising the Visibility: We will break the silence and dispel stigma by making resources, information, and general dialogue more visible, and accessible to our communities.
- Education: We will increase education on mental health care, and crisis response to reduce the highest risk factors for suicide and self-harming behavior.
- Taking Action: We will create/evolve/enhance policies in our community spaces to affirm and enshrine proactive practices. This includes recognizing and knowing the proper action for warning signs in oneself and others, as well as making policy and institutional changes related to contributing factors to suicide attempts.
The Coalition is composed of a diverse group of stakeholders that represent municipalities, County agencies, schools, parents and non-profit organizations that serve residents within the Townships of Lisle, Downers Grove, and Naperville. Beyond the organizations and institutions represented, at the very core of this coalition we are mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, friends, family, and peers within the impacted communities compelled by this issue to unite in obtaining sustainable solutions to reduce suicide rates.
This coalition is a starting point, a catalyst to activate our communities. Together, we can achieve tangible impact, as we all have the potential to influence change in our communities.
- Dedicated Resource Tree for coalition service area
- Training, Education, Certification opportunities
- More Tools to empower proactive prevention in your community